Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Salmon Derby 2011!

Every year the small island that we live on holds a Salmon derby over Memorial weekend.  It starts on Friday through Monday.  On Friday morning a siren will go off at 7:00 am.  People rush to the docks to get there Salmon Derby ticket stamped.  A fleet of boats charge out to their preferred fishing locations.  This is a pretty serious event for some people. With the awesome prizes, you really can't blame them.  First place fish gets $7,500.00 2nd place $5,000.00 and 3rd. $2,500.00 plus they get the first picks out of 140 prizes.  Yes, there is 140 places!  Sea kayaks, gas grills, out boards, air trips to the local LeConte glacier etc...  There is special prizes for the first king caught by a women, largest Halibut caught, biggest king caught by a child etc...  Plus there is one $10,000.00 and a $5,000.00 fish swimming around waiting to be caught!

Two years ago Jesse and I caught the $10,000.00 fish two weeks After the derby. We still won $50.00 and a hat.



   Last year I was able to fish all four days of the derby.  But this year with Seth I only did opening day.  And quite frankly that was enough for me!  Trying to take care of Seth on a small boat is not fun.

Day 1. Jesse, my mom,dad, Seth and I went out for the day to a Bay; about 1 hour boat ride from town.  First time I ever been there!  We left the docks a little after 7:00am.  We fished until 7:00pm.  Very, very long day on the boat; with absolutely no action.  Not even a bit!  Very frustrating when there is prizes to be won!

I wish this was a better picture... But you can kind of see the line to get your derby stamped.


my dad

trying to keep Seth happy

my guys!

Day 2.  Jesse woke up at 2:30am to go out fishing with  my dad.  He of course wakes me up as well.  Jesse fished the early morning and afternoon tides.  Apparently when the tide switches that's a good time to have your pole in the water.  With no luck :( hopefully better luck tomorrow.


Day 3. One fish caught by my dad.  19lbs. Not bad.  Jesse had two on but both broke loose.


Day 4. YES, the last day of derby. But sadly :( no fish were caught.  Oh well better luck next year!



This king salmon was caught in 2009 salmon derby. I think we took 90th place

No comments:

Post a Comment