Wednesday, August 31, 2011

It's too good to share

I have been baking bread since age ten, my family would always eat five loaves of bread a week.  I always made the same whole wheat bread recipe every week. I have made a LOT of bread.  Recently I have found a NEW bread recipe that we just LOVE.  It's really too good to share... or at least that's what my hubby said to me when I asked him for a bite of his bread.  He loves it or maybe he's just happy it's not the same bread recipe!
 Here it is!


I found this recipe from www.allrecipe.com

Amish White Bread
This is a two loaf recipe


2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
2/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/12 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cup bread flour

  1. I make my bread in a mixer; dissolve the sugar in the warm water, and then stir in the yeast.  Allow to proof until yeast is foamy. 
  2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast.  Mix flour one cup at a time.  I let my mixer knead the dough until smooth, about ten minutes. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat.  Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in size, about one hour.
  3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divided in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled loaf pans.  Let rise for 30 minutes.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.

*  My mom always kept her yeast jar in the freezer, I follow that same habit as well.  When I go and make bread I always end up heating my yeast on the stove.  (Because I am always doing things at the last minute:)  My dad and I starting heating up the yeast a few years ago and we have noticed a difference in how the bread rises.  It's pretty cool!
Enjoy!

1 comment: